FAQs about Tax Filing Extensions

Taxpayers can file a form with the IRS to request additional time to complete their tax returns. (See our related post for links to the appropriate forms and filing deadlines for different types of taxpayers) In some states, filing this form will also automatically extend the deadline for state taxes, but a separate form may be required in some states.

It is important to note that the filing extension only delays the time to submit the tax return and does not extend the deadline for payment. Taxpayers must estimate and pay the taxes due by the original due date.

There are many reasons why requesting an extension to file is a good idea. The AICPA resource below addresses this issue and many other common questions related to tax filing extensions. If you need more information or would like assistance with filing or other tax issues, please contact GYF at 412-338-9300.

Tax Filing Extension FAQs

Marne Babich

Marne Babich

Marne has more than 20 years of experience in public accounting. She focuses on providing tax planning, compliance and research services for closely held businesses, as well as their owners and executives.

[bws_pdfprint display=’pdf,print’]

Recent Posts

Subscribe to RSS

Get RSS feed notifications when updates are posted on the GYF Insights blog

Contact us to find out more

By submitting this form, you agree to the terms for our collection and use of your data as set forth in our privacy policy